Today I spent a long time trying to convince LaTeX that I wanted my bibliographies to have section numbers, and to appear in my table of contents. Apparently bibtex and the article class do not allow this option. None of the solutions I found online were working with my multi-file compiled document, until I found a cached copy of a deleted blog post from 2007.
The solution is actually pretty simple:
The original author says to put it in your document preamble, but that didn't work for me. I inserted it just below my first /bibliography (I have one for each chapter), and it carried forward through the rest of the document. You can also change section to subsection, or Bibliography to whatever you want your references to be named. The * function after \section also works.
"Send me your data - PDF is fine," said no one ever
The public health paradox ("When public health works, it's invisible")
Let's make data a civic right
Scholarly impact of open access journals
Six months later, disease detectives still battling fungal meningitis outbreak